We know you love Windows 7, and so do we. The OS was released way back in 2009, when Barack Obama first became President and Tik Tok was just a song by Ke$ha. Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015 and extended support ended on January 14, 2020.
Windows 10 may be the latest version of Windows, but Windows 7 remains very popular and has many users – 26.79% of PCs worldwide that are running Windows use Windows 7, which is a lot considering that Windows 8 + 8.1 stand at 6.16% despite being released after 7.
What Does Microsoft’s End of Support Mean for Windows 7 Users?
End of support does not mean that your computer will stop working; it will work just as before, but with a few warnings: Microsoft says that you will not receive technical support, software updates, and security updates or fixes.
K7 Still Supports Win 7
Now that Microsoft has stopped issuing security updates and fixes for Windows 7, your PC is at greater risk of viruses, malware, and other forms of cyberattacks. K7 Security, however, continues to support Windows 7 and keeps a wide variety of cyberthreats at bay.
7 Frequently Asked Questions from Users of K7 Security (Antivirus Premium, Total Security, Ultimate Security) about Windows 7 Support
1. What should I do if I am using K7 Security products on a Windows 7 PC?
Nothing. K7 Security products are not affected by Microsoft’s end of support and will continue to function as before on your PC. You will continue to receive feature and anti-malware updates for our products for the duration of your subscription. Please be aware that Windows 7 support will eventually end. Please see further below for the expected duration of support.
2. What should I do if I upgrade my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on the same PC?
K7 Security supports Windows 10 on the same subscription, and your subscription will just continue on Windows 10 until expiry
- If you perform an in-place upgrade – No additional steps are required. K7 Security will be ready for you when the upgrade to Windows 10 is complete
- If you perform a fresh install – K7 Security will need to be installed once the Windows 10 installation is complete (as will all other applications) as if you were installing it for the first time. If you have a multi-user license, you will need to login to your K7 Security account, deactivate the Windows 7 PC, and then activate the Windows 10 PC
3. I am using K7 Ultimate Security on a Windows 7 PC. Can I use the Data Backup and Restore feature to protect against data loss during the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade process?
Yes. Take a data backup using K7 Ultimate Security before beginning the upgrade process; choose New Location and save the backup in an external drive. After the upgrade to Windows 10 is complete, use K7 Ultimate Security (install and activate first if fresh install) to restore the data backup from the external drive.
4. I am using K7 Security on my Windows 7 PC and my subscription is about to expire. Will I continue to get Windows 7 support if I renew my subscription?
Yes, subscription renewals include Windows 7 support. Please be aware that Windows 7 support will eventually end. Please see further below for the expected duration of support.
5. I have not been using any cybersecurity on my Windows 7 PC. Can I subscribe to K7 Security now, and still gain protection for Windows 7?
Yes, new subscriptions include Windows 7 support. Please be aware that Windows 7 support will eventually end. Please see further below for the expected duration of support.
6. If I scrap/sell/gift my Windows 7 PC and get a new Windows 10 machine, can I transfer my subscription to the new machine?
Yes. If you have a
- Single-user license – Uninstall K7 Security from the Windows 7 PC, then install and activate on the Windows 10 PC as if you were installing it for the first time
- Multi-user license – Login to your K7 Security account and deactivate the Windows 7 PC; install and activate K7 Security on the Windows 10 PC as if you were installing it for the first time
7. How long will Windows 7 be supported by K7 Security?
We will continue to support Windows 7 for at least 2 years from January 14, 2020. This isn’t a firm deadline and may be extended further based on customer requirements.
When an OS reaches end of support from its developer, it does increase the risk to its users especially when it is as popular as Windows 7. Cyber antagonists will seek out exploits in the OS knowing that such exploits will not be patched. K7 Security continues to support Windows 7 to keep our customers safe, but we recommend that users upgrade to Windows 10 as a modern OS with a steady stream of updates from the developer would be robustly secure when coupled with up-to-date K7 Security products.
Note: Please Contact Support for any assistance with/further information on any of the features discussed here.