With the rise in the population of using the internet raises, so do the security risks associated with it.
Cyberthreats have turned out to be a major fear that countries have designated research & development departments that analyse & plan to design technologies and create strategies to bring down the potential threats in cyberspace.
With the increase in social media platform users & sites, the public tends to exhibit the personal information to the digital world, making it highly complicated to secure valuable information. With the development of technology, there are various options to protect your identity and personal data.
Here are the top 10 tips for internet security and stay protected digitally :
- Use strong passwords: The well-known strategy to keep your online identity protected is to concentrate on the creation of strong passwords. While setting a password, frame something that cannot be easily decoded or cracked. Please refrain from using words or numerics that a third party can associate with your first, middle or last name, a spouse’s or kid’s name, address, phone numbers. Easily identifiable numbers or names are not apt for passwords. Make a combination of upper & lower cases and also include numerics to stay protected from online breaches. Also never attempt to share your password with unknown people. Also, make sure to change your password frequently.
- Look for encryption: Prior to attempting any kind of financial transaction online, check for signs that confirm the website is encrypted or not. Check for two things before you proceed making any payment- the trusted security lock signs and the extra ”S” after http in the URL or site address bar. In a website that asks for your credit card details, the webpage address begins with https, which means it is a secure site for payment. The lock symbol also appears on the right side of the web address bar at the browser’s left bottom. These are two signs that assure the site is encrypted. This indicates that the information given in that site cant be seen by any other third party except the website owner whom you intend to share the information. This protects your name, phone number, credit card detail and other sensitive data being revealed to the outside world.
- Install best antivirus: Best antivirus comes in two variations Mobile antivirus & windows antivirus. With too many security suites online, buy antivirus that is the best antivirus for your system & mobile security. They are security programs that safeguard you from fraudsters and hacking programs that infect your system and try to attempt information theft . Best antivirus programs in mobile antivirus & windows antivirus help in blocking threats such as spyware, viruses and phishing scams that turn out to be part of your device without your knowledge. Buy antivirus from renowned brands like K7 antivirus that are designed as mobile antivirus & windows antivirus with utmost features to keep your device secure & protect your personal information online.
- Turn on web browser blacklisting: The inadequate internet security is also because of the internet browser being accessed. Various web browsers have extra security options like blacklisting. This helps you to frame the criteria for sites you will be accessing. This allows you to only navigate to trusted sites.
- Avoid Phishing scams: Phishing scams use different types of ways to get your personal information and attempt to do identity theft. There are various phishing scams available, but they can be prevented by gaining knowledge on how to identify them. To prohibit being a phishing scam victim, never check emails or attachments when you are not aware of the sender and never click on insecure links from strange senders. Also, avoid emails that promise to offer money, unfamiliar job opportunities or ask for donations to charities as these are techniques to steal personal information and online identity.
- Get private data protection: Another option to secure your online identity and sensitive data while sharing it digitally is to obtain private data protection. This kind of security suite will secure any private information that is part of an email, private messenger programs, social media platforms or other blogs. By using a private data protection suite, you can forbid hackers from stealing your personal data.
- Password protects your wireless router: A wireless router that transmits the internet to your residence or business must always be protected using a password. When you don’t lock it using a password anyone within the range of wireless networks can use and access your internet, that person could be a hacker too. A hacker with knowledge of committing cyber crimes may make this their platform for theft and steal your computer’s details while accessing your router. Also make sure to enable encryption feature in your wireless router which decodes the data you send digitally to protect your sensitive information much better.
- Hide your personal information: You may end up sharing your personal details accidentally with others if you don’t have a planned set up for your web browser. The moment you purchase a new system or download and install a web browser, remember to configure it. You may choose to do this using the set-up option on the browser and opt to configure the browser so that it doesn’t leak your name, email address or other data. Ensure to take this extra precaution while downloading and installing a browser to make sure your information & device is safe and your privacy is guarded.
- Enable cookies on your web browser only when necessary: Another choice of setting up your browser to secure your online information is by enabling cookies only when the website requires. These cookies are detailed website stores in your system, along with information about what sites you visited and what activities you perform there. Many sites try to collect the details and keep it with themselves but again it is a dishonest way of collecting information from the public. Enable cookies only in those sites that actually have a need for it .
- Protect your credit card info: Always perform credit card transactions only in a trusted site that is encrypted and secure. Never attempt to make payment using a credit card or punch in your credit card credentials on a site using public wifi. Public wifi can be accessed by many people, even hackers and your information is at risk. So be aware of the site you access & the wifi you use while making payment digitally.
All of us are cautious about our identity in real lives. The same importance should be given to our digital identity too. Compromising digital identity may lead to loss of data and money in our bank accounts. So be very careful and take all the necessary steps to be secure digitally.
Consider buying antivirus suites from the best antivirus software labels which has both windows antivirus & mobile antivirus like K7 antivirus programs to protect your digital footprint and stay secure from invasive online tracking and keep up your internet security.